Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Japanese Garden

Spring has finally come and its great weather make us want to go out. Lately I often go to Japanese Garden where is in Kansai Gaidai at lunch time with my friend.
Have you ever been there? Though I am attending here for three years, I had not been there until recently. Now it is one of my favorite places of Kansai Gaidai. When I visit Japanese Garden, I can be proud that I am Japanese. Its tasteful atmosphere make me comfortable and I can compose myself. It is special time for me to spend there.


When I went back my home town, Isikawa prefecture, last month, I visited Kenroku-en.



In Japan, there are the Three Great Gardens of Japan (三名園, Sanmeien), also known as "the three most famous gardens in Japan" are considered to include Kenroku-en(兼六園)in Kanazawa, Koraku-en(後楽園)in Okayama and Kairaku-en(偕楽園)in Mito. All of their name have special meaning. Kenrokuen means "a garden which combines six characteristics" The six aspects considered important in the notion of an ideal gardens: spaciousness, serenity, venerability, scenic views, subtle design, and coolness. Koraku-en means "a garden of pleasure after" and Kairaku-en means "a garden to enjoy with people." Japanese gardens can be also found at private homes, in neighborhood or city parks, and at historical landmarks such as Buddhist temples, Shinto shrines and old castles.


I often had visited Kenroku-en with my friend when I was a high school student. I was getting used to seeing Japanese garden. I could see them everywhere such as in neighborhood and my grandmother and grandfather’s house. It always existed in part of my life. So I didn’t have any interest in Japanese Garden before I came to Kansai Gaidai. However through having relationship with international students, I could have many opportunity to think about what is Japan. I always realized positive aspects of Japan that I had forgotten from conversation with them. Recently we Japanese tend to forget our Japanese culture by promotion of globalization. However even in an increasingly globalization, I want to keep in mind Japaneseness.

If you don’t have any plan for this Golden Week, I would like to recommend you to visit one of “the tree great gardens of Japan”. It would give you wonderful experiences!



Official website of Kenroku-en
Official website of Kouraku-en
Official website of Kairaku-en

1 comment:

  1. You are always making good suggestions for foreign students to check out various aspects of Japanese culture.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.